Eastland Activity Highlights
Eastland is the place for adventure—surfing, swimming, white water rafting, horse trekking, jet boating, trout fishing, quad biking, deep-sea fishing and more...
Eastland Activity Highlights Overview
Outdoor adventures are all go—hiking around Lake Waikaremoana, horse trekking at Wainui beach, jetboating the Motu River or freedom camping around the coast.
The ocean is ever-present. Whether you're flopping on a secret beach, swimming between the flags or taking a charter fishing trip to the outer reefs, you'll love the incredible coast.
The surf is internationally famous—ideal for learners and professionals alike.
Adventure Eastland Style
You can be daring in Eastland, or you can just pull up a chair and sip the local wine.
- Swim with Blue and Mako sharks in a specially designed snorkeling cage
- Go surfing—a local surf guide will take you to where the waves are
- Visit the wineries - Gisborne is recognised as the Chardonnay Capital of New Zealand
- Catch a fishing charter—experience the great sea fishing that Eastland is famous for
- Trout fishing in outlying rivers—grab a guide and hit the riverbank
- Saddle up and go horse trekking over farmland trails and along beaches
Biggest, Largest and First
The Eastland landscape has some special places for you to discover.
- Climb Mount Hikurangi, the first mainland place in the world to see the sunrise (prior consent required by Ngati Porou)
- Visit Tolaga Bay, to walk down the longest pier in New Zealand
- Walk to East Cape Lighthouse, the most easterly point of mainland New Zealand
- Sit underneath the largest Pohutukawa in New Zealand at Te Araroa
- Admire Tikitiki Church—one of the most ornate Maori churches in New Zealand
Natural Wonders to Find and Explore
Expect to be ambushed by the beauty of nature everywhere you look.
- Take a dip at Morere Hot Springs
- Explore Te Urewera National Park—the largest forested wilderness remaining in the North Island. Introduced animals such as deer and pigs are found in the park and hunting of these animals is encouraged. Permits are available from the Aniwaniwa Visitor Centre
- Enjoy trout fishing, hunting, swimming, kayaking or walking around Lake Waikaremoana
- Drive to Waioeka Scenic Reserve near Opotoki, for bush scenery and river rafting, canoeing and swimming
- Go rafting on the Motu River, trips depart from Opotiki
Eastland is a popular tourist destination and offers a wide range of accommodation options:
View more Eastland Accommodation options.
Useful Eastland Links
To help plan your Eastland holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Eastland Accommodation
- Eastland Tours
- Eastland Attractions and Activities
- Eastland Transport
- Eastland Cuisine and Dining
- Eastland Shopping
- Eastland Visitor Information
Eastland Region Information
Key information and facts about the Eastland region.
Major activities and attractions in the Eastland region.