Hawke's Bay Activity Highlights
Hawke's Bay Wine Country presents an eclectic mix of visual and sensual experiences, supported by seemingly endless sunshine.
Hawke's Bay Activity Highlights Overview
Supported by seemingly constant sunshine, Hawke's Bay promises you a wonderful time. Come to indulge your love of wine, your enjoyment of food and your sense of adventure.
Napier, the Art Deco City
After a massive earthquake in 1931, Napier was rebuilt in the Art Deco style. Today its charm and elegance has been preserved.
- Tour the city with a trained guide from the Art Deco Trust. Finish with a trip to the Art Deco Shop
- Visit the 1931 Earthquake Exhibition and Nga Tukemata (an exhibition which celebrates the Maori history of the East Coast) at the Hawke's Bay Museum
- Experience unique ecotourist entertainment at the National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Go on the Classic Sheepskins Tannery Tour
- Explore Napier's Emerson shopping street, including Statements Gallery, to view original art work by local artists
Wild Escapes aren't Far Away
- View Cape Kidnappers Gannet Colony, an accessible mainland gannet colony
- Visit local artists and boutique wineries on the Kidnappers Escape Art, Food and Wine Trail
- Enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a traditional village market at the Farmers Market, held every Sunday
- Go Hot Air Ballooning—flights take place in the early morning within the first few hours of the sunrise
- Book for a Maori Cultural Tour. Overnight Marae* stays are an option
* Marae—Maori settlement including meeting house
Fine Wine and Fabulous Food
As one of New Zealand's key wine growing districts, the Hawke's Bay is ready to show you a good time.
- Enjoy wine tasting at over 30 vineyards, many with a cafe or restaurant
- Go on the Hawke's Bay Food Trail—a self-guided tour of artisan food producers
- Enjoy a cycling tour through the beautiful landscape of the wine growing area
- Visit Pernel Fruitworld. Located in the heart of an extensive orchard district surrounding Hastings, Pernel orchard has over 12,000 fruit trees
- Call into Arataki Honey—one of the largest bee-keeping enterprises in the Southern Hemisphere
Scenery as Far as the Eye Can See
In the mountains and forests you'll discover the grandeur of Hawke's Bay geography.
- Climb up Te Mata Peak. Towering 400 metres above sea level, it offers panoramic views of the Ruahine, Kaweka and Maungaharuru ranges and Cape Kidnappers
- Relax at Morere Hot Springs—hot pools set in a beautiful bush environment
- Explore Mahia Peninsula Scenic Reserve and beach
- See Clonkeen Caves—extensive limestone and glowworm caves. Explore and see the stalactites, stalagmites, glow-worms and limestone formations
- Wander around Bremdale—Garden of Eden, Nuhaka
- Visit the stately house and gardens of Chesterton
- Find peace at Tradgaard, an award winning country garden
- Smell the air at Casa Lavanda, the lavender farm
- Wander the paths of Trelinnoe, one of New Zealand's finest woodland gardens
Useful Hawke's Bay Links
To help plan your Hawke's Bay holiday choose from the main categories below
- Hawke's Bay Accommodation
- Hawke's Bay Tours
- Hawke's Bay Attractions
- Hawke's Bay Transport
- Hawke's Bay Cuisine and Dining
- Hawke's Bay Shopping
- Hawke's Bay Visitor Information
Hawke's Bay Region Information
Key information and facts about the Hawke's Bay region.
Major activities and attractions in the Hawke's Bay region.