Manawatu - Activity Highlights
The rivers, valleys and mountain ranges of the Manawatu and Rangitikei set the scene for all kinds of outdoor challenges and offering many exciting things to do in Manawatu.
Manawatu Activity Highlights Overview
Manawatu offers perfect tramping country, and some of the world's largest trout in its rivers. For the thrill seekers try kayaking or jet boating through the Manawatu Gorge.
Other activities include scenic helicopter flights, mountain biking, aerobatic flying, a 4WD safari, bridge swinging, 4x4 quad bikes, and Formula Ford single seater racing.
In and Around Rangitikei
Adventure is in the wind—just about every kind you can think of.
- Take a ride in an aircraft simulator at the Ohakea Airforce Museum
- Try your hand at gumboot throwing in Taihape—every year it's a major event
- Have fun white water rafting, kayaking and jet boating on the Rangitikei River
- Leap from a bridge 80 metres (about 250 feet) above a river canyon at High Time Bungy
- Stay on a farm and experience the rural life first-hand
- Ride a small boat with a big motor on a tight, purpose-built circuit at Flat Hills Jet Sprint
- Go on a guided trout fishing trip
- Wander around private gardens and historical homesteads—visit Titoki Point, Rathmoy and The Ridges
The Glory of Gardens
There are fabulous gardens to visit around the city of Palmerston North and the towns of Feilding and Ashhurst.
- At the Herb Farm, Ashhurst you can buy a range of herbal healing products and wander through themed gardens
- Admire the rose gardens along the Victoria Esplanade in Palmerston North and sniff the Fragrant Garden in Feilding
- Cross Hills Gardens, Kimbolton has extensive plantings of rhododendrons
- Pukemarama Gardens is a classic example of a formal English-style garden
Parks, Forests and Exhibits With a Difference
Explore the landscape of the Manawatu and make some special discoveries.
- Meet native New Zealand owls (morepork), including Owl Capone, Owle Macpherson and Owlvis Presley at Owlcatraz in Shannon
- Take a day hike through the Ruahine Forest Park
- There are lots of ways to see the Tararua Windfarm—by clydesdale wagon, horse trek, quad bike, 4WD (four-wheel drive) or guided hike
- The Science Centre at Manawatu Museum and Art Gallery has a range of interesting exhibitions
- See New Zealand's most comprehensive collection of rugby memorabilia at the Rugby Museum and Institute of Rugby
Useful Manawatu Links
To help plan your Manawatu holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Manawatu Accommodation
- Manawatu Tours
- Manawatu Attractions and Activities
- Manawatu Transport
- Manawatu Cuisine and Dining
- Manawatu Shopping
- Manawatu Visitor Information
Manawatu Region Information
Key information and facts about the Manawatu region.
Major activities and attractions in the Manawatu region.