Far North Activities
Far North activities include diving, fishing, hiking, swimming, surfing, scenic cruises, mountain biking, sightseeing and so much more! You will find everything to do in Far North.
Far North Activity Highlights Overview
The Far North enjoys a unique mix of historical and natural pleasures, each promising a different experience each day. Discover heritage buildings and museums, relax on boats and beaches, enjoy a game of golf or catch a fish, hike the forest or follow an art trail—the choice is yours.
The top of New Zealand
Drive up Ninety Mile Beach on your way to the northernmost point of New Zealand and watch the Tasman Sea collide with the Pacific Ocean.
- Walk up to Cape Reinga Lighthouse
- Take a coach tour along the sand of Ninety Mile Beach
Beach Perfection in Doubtless Bay
Considered by many to be the ultimate Northland destination, the Doubtless Bay area has beaches of every description.
- Explore the quaint fishing village of Mangonui
- Discover Coopers Beach, Cable Bay, Taipa, Tokerau Beach, Whatuwhiwhi and many more. Enjoy excellent fishing and swimming.
Marine Recreation in Whangaroa Harbour
Another treasure trove of beautiful and secluded beaches. Matauri Bay is the final resting place of the Greenpeace flagship, the Rainbow Warrior.
- Organise marlin fishing from Whangaroa township
- Find out about horse trails, heritage trails, jet ski hire, tours to the Cavalli Islands and golf at Kauri Cliffs
- Dive trips to the Rainbow Warrior operate out of Matauri Bay and Paihia
Adventure on the Kauri Coast
The Kauri Coast is an outdoor playground with a fascinating history.
- Discover the sand lakes at Kai Iwi - safe swimming, boating and a spot of fishing
- From the main centre of Dargaville you can take a tour along Ripiro Beach (New Zealand's beach) or visit the Shipwreck Museum
- Call into Matakohe Museum, for an understanding of the Kauri logging and gum digging heritage of the area
- Book for 'Kauri Country' - a unique eco-adventure that brings to life the early history of the area
Tutukaka for Surf, Diving and Big Game Fishing
Take the road from Whangarei to the riverside village of Ngunguru, the sheltered natural harbour of Tutukaka and the beautiful beaches beyond.
- Tutukaka is the gateway to great diving at the famous Poor Knights Islands—a wildlife marine reserve above the water and a marine reserve below
- Big game and line fishing trips depart from Tutukaka wharf
- Or sea kayaking and snorkeling around the marine reserve
Far North Accommodation
Far North is a popular tourist destination and offers a wide range of accommodation options:
- Far North Motels
- Far North Hotels
- Far North Bed and Breakfasts
- Far North Campsites and Holiday Parks
View more Far North Accommodation options.
Useful Far North Links
To help plan your Far North holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Far North Accommodation
- Far North Tours
- Far North Attractions and Activities
- Far North Transport
- Far North Visitor Information
Far North Region Information
Key information and facts about the Far North region.
Major activities and attractions in the Far North region.