Off the Beaten Track to... The Kauri Coast
Head north from Auckland, turn left at turn Bynderwyn and you will find the Kauri Coast along Northland's West Coast. This area offers visitors a good variety of accommodation, activities and eating out opportunities. However, it's easy to escape to quiet, unspoilt areas of the coast and to enjoy the beautiful sunsets of Northland's west coast – a particularly lovely camping spot is at Kai Iwi Lakes.
Things To Do
- Kai Iwi Lakes - Camp at the Taharoa domain, home to three freshwater lakes collectively known as the Kai Iwi Lakes. These beautiful crystal clear lakes are suitable for boating, diving, fishing, sailboarding, swimming, yachting and water skiing. However, camping and picnicking here is activity enough with sunsets to die for. The lakes are situated 35 kilometres northwest of Dargaville.
- Waipoua Forest - This is one of the highlights of the Kauri Coast, a superb forest sanctuary which is home to magnificent kauri trees, some of which are over 2,000 years old. You can visit Te Matua Ngahere the 'Father of the Forest', which has a trunk over five metres in diameter and is believed to be the widest kauri tree in New Zealand.
- Ripiro Beach - Ripiro is New Zealand's longest driveable beach and its 107 kilometre stretch is backed by high, golden sand dunes. It is the site of many shipwrecks and is longer than its more famous cousin, the so-called 90 Mile Beach at North Cape.
- Trounson Kauri Park - Enjoy a taste of Middle Earth in this pristine kauri forest reserve. Its kauri trees are considered the best collection in New Zealand and the park is home to many threatened species including the North Island brown kiwi.
- Tokatoka Peak - This outlandish mountain is actually the plug of a volcano situated near the edge of the Wairoa River in Northland. The climb is short and very steep, but the views are amazing.
To help plan your holiday itinerary in Northland, simply choose from the main categories below:
- Northland Accommodation
- Northland Attractions and Activities
- Northland Tours
- Northland Transport
- Northland Visitor Information
All Northland Accommodation can be booked online.