Road Safety for Hire Car users in New Zealand
New Zealand is generally considered to be a very safe destination for travellers and the good news for hire car users is that New Zealand roads also tend to be safe with most roads on major routes being sealed, marked and lit. However, it's important to keep safe whilst driving, especially when driving a hire car in a new country. These hints may help.
Tips on Road Safety for Hire Car users in New Zealand
- Familiarize yourself with New Zealand's road code before you get into your hire car.
- Remember that in New Zealand, cars are driven on the left-hand side of the road.
- See the NZ Transport Agency website for more information on New Zealand's give way rules.
- On most of New Zealand's roads, there is a speed limit of 100km/h unless signed otherwise.
- In urban areas, there is a speed limit of 50 km/h unless signed otherwise.
- Everyone in the car must wear safety belts.
- Babies and infants must be restrained in car-seats appropriate to their age at all times.
- Do not drink alcohol and drive. View more on New Zealand's drink drive laws.
- Carry a valid and current driver's licence and/or driver's permit with you at ALL times.
- If your licence is not in English, you must carry an approved translation with you.
Read more information about driving on New Zealand roads.
Booking your Hire Car in New Zealand
It is easy to book a rental car in New Zealand. Simply browse our range of rental cars by choosing one of the options below.
You may be interested in a form of transport in New Zealand other than a rental car. Browse our range of transport options including airlines, bus and coach services, rental 4WD, minivan and buses, rental campervans and motorhomes, rental bikes and motorcycles and trains.
Return to New Zealand rental cars information.