Things to See and Do in New Zealand
It's hard to pick favourites out from the many beauty spots and the almost endless array of outdoor adventures and activities New Zealand has to offer, but we can at least offer you an idea of where to start. So read on and find out more about where to go, what to see and what to do in New Zealand. Explore this wonderful country, so rightly called 'God's Zone'.
For both local and international travellers—for budget and top-end, for must-sees and must-dos—here are our top recommendations for your travel and sightseeing itineraries New Zealand.
New Zealand Highlights
- Aoraki / Mt Cook – Follow the steps of New Zealand's most famous son to the country's highest mountain, visit the Sir Edmund Hilary Alpine Centre and explore this beautiful Alpine region.
- Bay of Islands – Pack up a rod and follow the big fish up to the Russell peninsula. Super-size your catch with a chartered fishing trip or kick back and enjoy the surf.
- Otago Rail Trail – Follow in the tracks of steam trains from yesteryear with a leisurely cycling holiday or walking trip in the golden region of Otago.
- Punakaiki Pancake Rocks – Located in the Paparoa National Park, it's always Pancake Day at Punakaiki... Here you can view stunning limestone rock formations and blowholes on the rugged and wild West Coast of the South Island.
- Queenstown – The 'Adventure Capital' of New Zealand offers truly great walks, as well as bungy-jumping, jet boating, horse-riding, rafting, paragliding and more.
- Rotorua – Literally a visitor hotspot, view natural geothermal waters, geysers and mud pools and indulge in activities such as cycling, zorbing, fishing and walking.
- Southern Sounds – Take scenic cruises to savour the waters and hanging valleys of Milford and Doubtful Sounds and enjoy viewing their abundant marine and birdlife.
- Waitangi – Soak up the history at the birthplace of modern New Zealand and stand in the spot where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed.
- Waitomo – Get ready to glow.. Explore the labyrinths of Waitomo's many caves and be enchanted by the mesmerizing lights of thousands of glowworms.
- Whakaari – Adventure on Whakaari (White Island), home to New Zealand's largest active volcano, walking tracks and world-famous scuba sites.
To find accommodation, tours or transport in any of the areas mentioned above, simply click on Accommodation, Tours or Transport.
More New Zealand Highlights – By Region
View our pick of things to do on New Zealand’s North Island or if you’re off to explore the South Island, here are a few more suggestions for South Island sights & highlights.
More Things to Do (Activities & Tours)
Whether it's walking or wine-tasting, cycling or sailing, jumping into a kayak, out of plane or off a bridge, New Zealand has a breath-taking array of activities for you to enjoy. View our suggestions of things to do in New Zealand for adrenalin junkies and the take-it-easy brigade!
More Things To See (Attractions & Sightseeing)
Find out why Hollywood comes to New Zealand. The spectacular scenery and amazing physical beauty of both the North and South Islands just can't be re-created by desk-bound special effects' artists…View places to see in New Zealand.