New Zealand Activity Highlights
New Zealand's awesome landscapes, lush forests, amazing wildlife and pleasant climate make it a haven for many outdoor activities, and a great place to unwind.
New Zealand Activity Highlights Overview
New Zealand offers an unlimited selection of quality tourist attractions, activities and adventure for a fun-filled vacation while in New Zealand. Experience the adrenalin rush from bungy jumping in New Zealand or relax and enjoy the relaxing sights while tramping in one of New Zealand's National Parks. New Zealand attractions have everything to suit anyone of any age.
Tutukaka for Surf, Diving and Big Game Fishing
- Tutukaka is the gateway to great diving at the famous Poor Knights Islands - a wildlife marine reserve above the water and a marine reserve below
- Big game and line fishing trips depart from Tutukaka wharf
- Or sea kayaking and snorkelling around the marine reserve
View further activity highlights for Northland.
Whitianga and Mercury Bay
The beach town of Whitianga makes an excellent base for explorations of Mercury Bay and the adjacent coast.
- At Hot Water Beach you can dig in the sand for hot spring water and make your own spa pool
- Cathedral Cove is a magical beach framed by a massive natural rock arch
- Go big game fishing, snorkelling or scuba diving
- Indulge in a seafood feast at one of Whitianga's restaurants
- Visit the numerous galleries and artists' studios along the east coast
View further activity highlights for Coromandel.
Ski an Active Volcano
- Whakapapa is New Zealands biggest and busiest ski area. It has a total of 24 lifts and 43 runs, ranging from beginner to off piste expert
- Turoa is called "The Giant". It offers 400 hectares of skiing and 11 lifts
View further activity highlights for Ruapehu.
Follow your nose to Nelson's finest wines
West of Nelson there are vineyards to discover and fascinating beach towns to enjoy.
- Enjoy a leisurely tour of the local vineyards—discover the region's intensely flavoured Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, as well as vibrant Pinot Noir
- Throw your leg over a horse and trek across the tranquil rural landscape or along the beach at Marahau, Puponga or Wharariki
- Call into the cafe and smokehouse at Mapua for the freshest smoked seafood you've ever tasted
- Book into one of the health retreats in the region and rejuvenate mind and body
View further activity highlights for Nelson.
The Handsome Heritage of Dunedin
Dunedin is one of the best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities in the Southern Hemisphere. You'll find it a captivating place to visit.
- Spend a few hours admiring the valuable collections at the Dunedin Public Art Gallery
- Catch the Taieri Gorge Railway, which departs Dunedin Railway station on a number of excursions around the Otago region
- Visit historic Olveston, for a peek at the home life of a Dunedin family at the turn of the century
- Larnach Castle is New Zealand's only true castle-perched on a hill overlooking the magnificent Otago Harbour
- Take a tour around Speights Brewery, a South Island icon
- Otago Museum is one of New Zealand's oldest and largest Museums covering the themes of culture, nature and science
- Otago Settlers Museum tells the story of Dunedin's Scottish settlers
- If you're a keen sports person, visit the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame
- Dunedin Botanic Gardens is a beautiful place to wander at any time of the year
View further activity highlights for Dunedin.
New Zealand Wide Accommodation
New Zealand is a popular tourist destination and offers a wide range of country-wide accommodation options:
- New Zealand Motels
- New Zealand Hotels
- New Zealand Bed and Breakfasts
- New Zealand Holiday Houses
- New Zealand Campsites and Holiday Parks
View more New Zealand Accommodation options.
Useful New Zealand Wide Links
To help plan your New Zealand holiday choose from the main categories below:
- New Zealand Accommodation
- New Zealand Tours
- New Zealand Attractions and Activities
- New Zealand Transport
- New Zealand Cuisine and Dining
- New Zealand Shopping
- New Zealand Visitor Information
New Zealand Wide Information
Key information and facts about New Zealand.
Major activities and attractions throughout New Zealand.