Dunedin Activity Highlights
Discover the ecotourism of Dunedin, visit the old castles or museum, wander the Botanic Gardens or just enjoy the vibrant atmosphere that is Dunedin.
Dunedin Activity Highlights Overview
Dunedin and Coastal Otago let you discover ecotourism and heritage at its best, overlaid with the food, wine and fun of New Zealand's liveliest university city.
The Handsome Heritage of Dunedin
Dunedin is one of the best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities in the Southern Hemisphere. You'll find it a captivating place to visit.
- Spend a few hours admiring the valuable collections at the Dunedin Public Art Gallery
- Catch the Taieri Gorge Railway, which departs Dunedin Railway Station on a number of excursions around the Otago region
- Visit historic Olveston, for a peek at the home life of a Dunedin family at the turn of the century
- Larnach Castle is New Zealand's only true castle—perched on a hill overlooking the magnificent Otago Harbour
- Take a tour around Speights Brewery, a South Island icon
- Otago Museum is one of New Zealand's oldest and largest Museums covering the themes of culture, nature and science
- Otago Settlers Museum tells the story of Dunedin's Scottish settlers
- If you're a keen sports person, visit the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame
- Dunedin Botanic Gardens is a beautiful place to wander at any time of the year
The Wild Side of Coastal Otago
Meet some of Otago's rare and unusual inhabitants on an eco-experience.
- Visit the Royal Albatross Centre, Taiaroa Head, Otago Peninsula. It's the site of the only mainland breeding colony of Royal albatross in the world
- Monarch wildlife cruises can take you to see albatross, seals, blue penguins, shags and other marine and bird life
- For a close-up look at New Zealand marine life, find your way to the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre
- Penguin Place is the yellow-eyed penguin (hoiho) conservation reserve on Otago Peninsula—you can hide and watch the penguins as they go about their daily lives
North to Palmerston and Oamaru
Drive north for a day trip and visit the historical townships of Palmerston and Oamaru.
- Take a guided tour to Macraes Gold Mine and historic Golden Point Battery near Palmerston
- Admire Oamaru's historic stone architecture—many buildings feature Oamaru stone, a form of local limestone
- View the penguins coming ashore at dusk at the Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony
- Marvel at the perfect roundness of the mysterious Moeraki Boulders, which lie uncovered by the sea 33 kilometres south of Oamaru
Useful Dunedin Links
To help plan your Dunedin holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Dunedin Accommodation
- Dunedin Tours
- Dunedin Attractions and Activities
- Dunedin Transport
- Dunedin Cuisine and Dining
- Dunedin Shopping
- Dunedin Visitor Information
Dunedin Region Information
Key information and facts about the Dunedin region.
Major activities and attractions in the Dunedin region.