Waihi Beach Accommodation, Southern Coromandel, New Zealand
+64 7 863 5818
+64 21 657 888
Address:170 Seaforth Rd
Waihi Beach Lodge Introduction
Waihi Beach Lodge offers boutique bed & breakfast lodge accommodation just metres from nine kilometres of sandy beach, with stunning views and under two hours from Auckland airport.
The central location of our bed and breakfast at Waihi Beach provides you with the flexibility to see Rotorua, Waitomo, Hobbiton and the Coromandel from one base, as well as being able to spend time in the Karangahake Gorge and view the gold mining history of Waihi.
Our Waihi Beach Accommodation
Our bed and breakfast has three king or queen bedrooms with en suites and a modern studio apartment.
The studio apartment has a king-size bed, kitchenette, private bathroom, laundry and and it's own entrances and is ideal for those who wish to stay longer and self-cater.
All rooms at our Waihi Beach accommodation are furnished in an uncluttered style with quality beds and cotton linen. Bath robes, toiletries, luggage racks, hairdryers, televisions, DVD players and other thoughtful details are provided for your comfort. All rooms have sea views with the studio apartments being from its deck.
Features and Facilities at our Waihi Beach Accommodation
- Two hours from Auckland and 1½ hours from Auckland International Airport
- Central location – flexibility to see Rotorua, Waitomo, Hobbiton, and the Coromandel from one base with time to see Karangahake gorge and the goldmining town Waihi
- Two minutes' from nine kilometres of sandy beach with stunning sea views and sunsets
- Close to sea and river fishing plus fishing with seahorse torpedo off the beach
- Four golf courses and three wineries within 30 minutes drive
- Swim with the dolphins in Tauranga, visit the Martha gold mine, walk in the stunning Karangahake gorge, kayak through the glowworm caves or just laze on the nine kilometres of beach – www.waihibeachlodge.co.nz/activities.html for more information
- Free wireless Internet connection for checking emails throughout the lodge
- Pre-booked massages available
- Gourmet breakfasts daily in tariff – five cafes close by for evening meals
- Whole of lodge bookings plus pamper and honeymoon packages available
Tea and coffee are available anytime and pre-dinner drinks are offered most evenings. Waihi Beach has several great cafes for dining or if you prefer we would be happy to provide a three course meal by prior arrangement.
Waihi Beach Lodge Packages
Below are some of the holiday packages we offer, please visit our Waihi Beach accommodation Web site for more Waihi Beach Lodge holiday packages.
Winter Escape Packages – Relax and enjoy the sea views, over a leisurely gourmet breakfast. To melt away those winter blues treat your self to two nights boutique accommodation which can include – evening meal voucher, a Harley ride, a guided walk in the Karangahake gorge, an hour massage for your sweetheart, use of private spa pool, fresh flowers and chocolates on arrival, gourmet breakfasts with fresh muffins daily.
Winter/Spring Getaway Package 1 – Stay three nights for the price of two. Package includes gourmet breakfast for two daily, fresh fruit and chocolates on arrival and use of private spa pool. Package not able to be run concurrent with the above package. Availability: April 1 until December 20.
Attractions and Activities at our Waihi Beach Accommodation
Waihi Beach is a friendly seaside resort with nine kilometres of golden sand, surrounded by natural beauty and a whole range of leisure activities.
On one side you have one of the safest surf beaches in New Zealand (patrolled by lifeguards during summer) and the other the sheltered northern reaches of Tauranga Harbour.
Relax on the beach, swim in the surf or try something more adventurous like boogie boarding, kayaking or kite-boarding.
Gold history abounds in Waihi, be sure to visit the Gold Mining Museum and take a ride on both the Historic Goldfields Railway and Victoria Battery Tramway. Make sure you visit the Gold Discovery Centre in Waihi to see how gold mining really happens. For a slice of recent history you can explore the recently closed Golden Cross Mine at Waitekauri.
Just out of Waihi you will find breathtaking walks around the Karangahake and Waitawheta Gorges and up Waihi's Black Hill.
Walks in the Karangahake gorge are a great option as you learn of the gold mining and natural history during your walk. Walks can be anything from 35 minutes to 4 hours.
Activities – Hauraki Rail Trail is a two-day ride making it an ideal weekend experience. The trail can be accessed from Thames, Paeroa, Waihi, or Te Aroha, and the trail also offers a range of shorter riding options, including day rides. The trail showcases some of the best scenery New Zealand has to offer, rich in pioneering history. A major highlight includes riding through the stunning Karangahake Gorge, one of the "14 Wonders of New Zealand".
There are plenty of cafés and restaurants to choose from at Waihi Beach and the Village shopping centre with its retail shops and businesses will cater for most of your other requirements.
For those who enjoy a round of golf there are four choices within a 30-minute drive from Waihi Beach.
The region is bountiful with fruit and vegetable produce which can be purchased fresh from the many roadside stalls. A visit to the local wineries is another lovely way to pass the day.
Waihi Beach up the Coromandel Peninsula:
- Visit the beautiful beaches and seaside towns of Whangamata, Opoutere, Onemana, Tairua, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach, Cooks Beach and Whitianga
- Remember with Hot Water Beach you need to be there 2 hours either side of low tide to get the hotwater experience - check with Greg and Ali for tide times and map
- Drive time Waihi Beach to Whitianga direct is 2 1/2 hours
Waihi Beach to Rotorua:
- Geothermal and Maori history are in abundance as well as other natural wonders.
- Check out Waimangu volcanic valley and Waiotapu geothermal wonderland - Greg and Ali have brochures on both. www.waimangu.co.nz, www.waiotapu.co.nz
- Drive time Waihi Beach to Rotorua 1 1/2 hours - ask Greg and Ali for directions
Waihi Beach to Waitomo:
Visit the Kiwi House in Otorohanga and see the Kiwis being fed and other native New Zealand birds in their natural habitat. www.kiwihouse.org.nz
- Take a Glow worm cave tour with Spellbound - 2 caves in 3 1/4 hours www.glowworm.co.nz
- Drive time Waihi Beach to Waitomo 2 hours - ask Greg and Ali for directions
Waihi Beach to Hobbiton:
- The Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm Tour is an essential stop on the itinerary of all visitors travelling through New Zealand, offering an interesting and entertaining experience incorporating the famous film set and a special insight into rural life.
- Your guide will escort you through the ten acre site recounting fascinating details of how the Hobbiton set was created.
- Image boards are strategically placed at key locations which allow you to see how this beautiful piece of Waikato farmland was transformed into The Shire from Middle-earth.
- Departures from Matamata Information Centre, 45 Broadway, Matamata. www.hobbitontours.com
- Drive time Waihi Beach to Matamata 1 hour - ask Greg and Ali for directions