Tongariro National Park Tours, Ruapehu
0800 922 812
+64 7 892 2812
About Mountain Air
Mountain Air offers unique experiences combining scenic flights over dramatic landscape with breathtaking views of Tongariro National Park, in Ruapehu, New Zealand.
Our Tongariro National Park tours showcase New Zealand's oldest national park and World Heritage Site. See into the live craters of Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu and view the spectacular lakes on the mountains, the Emerald Lakes, the Blue Lake and the Tama Lakes.
Our Ruapehu volcano flights operate from 8:00 am, 7 days per week, weather permitting. Our New Zealand scenic flights during summer operate until twilight.
Bookings are preferable but not essential for fixed wing flights. Our New Zealand scenic flights leave on demand with a minimum of two people, no age limit.
Tongariro National Park Tours
Tongariro National Park is a World Heritage Site, second oldest in the world after Yellowstone in America. Tongariro National Park includes three mountains, Mt Ruapehu, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro.
Features of our Ruapehu volcano flights include:
- Views of the volcanic Tongariro National Park and World Heritage Site
- Scenes from past and present volcanic activity
- Views of the Ketetahi Hot Springs, Blue Lake, Emerald Lakes, Red Crater, Tama Lakes, Tongariro Crossing one day walk, the central desert, native forests of the Park, the tussock country, sheep farmlands and Lake Taupo, the biggest crater lake of them all
- Outstanding photographic opportunities
- Airplane adventure with informed commentary over pristine lakes, thermal and volcanic activity
New Zealand Wide Flight Charter
Our fully qualified pilots are professional, knowledgeable and friendly and will make any charter around New Zealand a memorable experience.
We offer New Zealand charter flights for:
- New Zealand scenic flights
- Special interest scenic flights
- Aerial photography
- Point to point transfers
- Transfers to private lodges
- Business meetings
- Fishing and hunting destinations
- Social Club outings
- Filming and photography
Eco Tourism & Conservation Projects
Mountain Air is proud of its support for conservation projects around the Tongariro National Park Dual World Heritage Area.
Mountain Air supports:
- The Tongariro Natural History Society, a large volunteer organisation which undertakes a range of conservation work in the region supporting the work of the Department of Conservation
- Department of Conservation Kiwi Recovery Programme
- Whakamanu Wildlife Kiwi Recovery Programme
- A tussock (native grass) restoration project around its Chateau Airfield to bring back some of the former beauty of these once spectacular tussock lands
How You Can Help
Each person who flies with Mountain Air around magnificent Tongariro National Park has the opportunity to support our "Plant for Your Future" tussock restoration project. Simply donate $4 towards the cost of a tussock plant, which we subsidize further with another $2. In this way you can make a major contribution towards the New Zealand environment which they will have enjoyed so much.
Our conservation goals include:
- To restore a small part of these beautiful native grasslands
- To make the areas around the Mountain Air Chateau Airfield more attractive and look more in keeping with the Tongariro National Park
- To help offset the carbon emissions from the fuel used on scenic flights
- To plant a total of 2,500 tussocks over five years
- To recognize and give thanks for the support given to the project by people who have flown with Mountain Air by listing them on our website