Hot Air Ballooning in New Zealand
For a touch of romantic adventure, try hot air ballooning in New Zealand. From the first preparations of inflating the balloon to touchdown, the pleasure of this ancient sport will delight your senses. Once you're up in the air, you can simply relax and enjoy a bird's eye view of the surrounding scenery as your balloon follows the breeze. Why not spoil the one you love with a beautiful champagne breakfast high in the sky?
Hot air balloon operators can be found throughout the country, where flights will take you above lush farmland areas, where you'll see a rich tapestry of different crops, forests and towns, spliced with rivers and highways and dotted with lakes. In the South Island, the imposing Southern Alps present an impressive snow-capped backdrop for hot air balloons drifting above the sprawling patchwork of the Canterbury Plains. Most places fly daily, weather permitting at dawn during the summer months.
- In Auckland, you will find yourself drifting above the suburban homes of Auckland City and looking out towards the island studded Hauraki Gulf.
- Gracefully float across Christchurch and the Canterbury Plains. The snow-capped Southern Alps make a perfect backdrop for hot air ballooning and people wanting to enjoy this exhilarating experience can choose from a variety of flight options.
- The Hawke's Bay is found on the east coast of the North Island where conditions are almost perfect for ourearly morning flights, over farmland, orchards, and vineyards, against a picturesque mountain background.
- Queenstown is the adventure capital of the world. Fly over Lake Wakatipu, the Shotover River and surrounding mountains where scenes from the Lord Of The Rings were filmed.
- Experience the majesty of Wairarapa and the snow-capped Tararua mountains (during the winter months) and the serenity of the scenic countryside from the peace and stillness of a hot-air balloon flight.
- Balloons Over Waikato, is New Zealand's annual hot air ballooning festival, attracting ballooners from all over New Zealand and around the world!
Safety is of paramount importance with New Zealand's hot air ballooning companies, so all pilots and equipment are maintained to the highest standards approved by the Civil Aviation Authority.
Prices range from NZ$300 per adult.
Click here to view tourism operators for hot air ballooning in New Zealand.