New Zealand's North Island Highlights
The North Island of New Zealand is the world's 14th largest island and includes 8 cities. Caves, kauri forests, glorious beaches, volcanic landscapes and a rich Maori culture are just some of its many attractions.
Here are our top North Island highlights:
- Auckland – The City of Sails offers boaties the chance to set sail to numerous harbours, beaches, coves and islands and is a vibrant city life worthy of on-shore exploration.
- Cape Reinga – At the northern tip of New Zealand, visit the lighthouse and find out more about the Maori mythology of the area.
- Hot Water Beach – South of Hahei on the Coromandel Peninsula, dig your own natural spa bath in the sands of the aptly-named Hot Water Beach.
- Kauri Coast – The often-overlooked west coast of Northland provides the chance to enjoy the majestic Waipoua Kauri Forest, rustic camping and sunsets over Kai-Iwi Lakes.
- Mt Taranaki – The 2518m high cone of this dormant volcano dominates the region and bears a striking resemblance to Japan's Mt Fuji. Used as locations for the Tom Cruise movie, The Last Samurai.
- Ninety Mile Beach – The giant sand dunes and windswept shores of this famous stretch of beach play host to sand-surfers and stranded cars alike.
- Rose Town of New Zealand – Te Awamutu, the ‘rose town' of New Zealand is a popular destination for horticulturists between November and April - 2,000 rose bushes and a November rose show every year.
- Taupo – With a stunning volcanic plateau as its backdrop, Lake Taupo, the largest lake in New Zealand, offers visitors a huge array of activities including hiking, fishing, water sports, skydiving and much more.
- Tongariro National Park – New Zealand's oldest national park and World Heritage Area offers great opportunities for trekking, climbing and snow sports.
- Wellington – Find out more about New Zealand's history, its art and culture at Te Papa museum, ride the cable car, discover boutique shopping, the local wineries and walks in and around the city centre or in nearby national parks.
More New Zealand Highlights – South Island
For your ongoing travel itinerary, these are our suggested South Island sights & highlights.
More Things to Do (Activities & Tours)
Whether it's walking or wine-tasting, cycling or sailing, jumping into a kayak, out of plane or off a bridge, New Zealand has a breath-taking array of activities for you to enjoy. View our suggestions of things to do in New Zealand for adrenalin junkies and the take-it-easy brigade!
More Things To See (Attractions & Sightseeing)
Find out why Hollywood comes to New Zealand. The spectacular scenery and amazing physical beauty of both the North and South Islands just can't be re-created by desk-bound special effects' artists... View places to see in New Zealand.