If you love the ocean, Tauranga will show you a good time. From a gentle stroll along the beach to high excitement on a paraglider, anything is possible in Tauranga.
Tauranga Activity Highlights Overview
As New Zealand's fifth largest city, Tauranga is full of attractions and things to do. Tauranga offers what most cities do, e.g. shopping and all the sporting and activity places that a city of 120,000 would be expected to have. In addition it enjoys a warm climate being quite far north.
Tauranga is built on the coast of the glorious Bay of Plenty, consequently Tauranga enjoys many marine related activities such as diving - Tauranga offers some fascinating diving experiences including diving around the still active White Island volcano. Swimming with Dolphins is another adventure to be found in Tauranga.
- Catch a fishing charter to the marlin waters of Mayor Island (Tuhua)
- Have a dolphin encounter - watching or swimming
- Sample award winning wines at local wineries
- Try skydiving or parasailing, or zoom down a dirt track luge
- Walk around the base of Mount Maunganui 'Mauao' or hike the 1.5 kilometres to its volcanic cone summit
- Relax at the Mount Maunganui Hot Salt Water Pools
Tauranga has scores of scenic tracks winding their way through New Zealand's native bush. There you can admire New Zealand's impressive flora and watch and listen to the many native birds in the region.
Thrill Seeking Activities
Tauranga offers some of the ultimate adventures like sky diving and extreme jet boating adventures up the Kaituna River.
At Tauranga you can enjoy challenging four wheel drive adventures through water obstacles and up muddy slopes while taking in the lush scenery, or can go on scenic flights and explore the mysterious Bay of Plenty and the forests and mountain ranges inland.
From Tauranga one can visit the Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park or join an expedition to White Island, New Zealand's only active marine volcano.
Tauranga also enjoys many other attractions such as historical buildings, art galleries and museums all having their own history to tell. Tauranga has game parks and animal parks and much more.
Tauranga is a popular tourist destination and offers a wide range of accommodation options:
- Tauranga Motels
- Tauranga Hotels
- Tauranga Bed and Breakfasts
- Tauranga Lodges and Retreats
- Tauranga Campsites and Holiday Parks
- Tauranga Holiday Houses
View more Tauranga Accommodation options.
Useful Tauranga Links
To help plan your Tauranga holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Tauranga Accommodation
- Tauranga Tours
- Tauranga Attractions and Activities
- Tauranga Transport
- Tauranga Cuisine and Dining
- Tauranga Shopping
- Tauranga Visitor Information
Tauranga Region Information
Key information and facts about the Tauranga region.
Major activities and attractions in the Tauranga region.