Insurance from New Zealand Car Hire Companies
With numerous New Zealand car hire companies to choose from, it may seem a bit of a daunting task to find the best car hire deal for your trip. Getting quotes from several car hire companies online offers an excellent starting point, but in order to compare 'apples with apples' you also need to check what the small print says about their conditions are regards: mileage, fuel consumption, pick up and drop offs and insurance.
What Insurance is Offered by most New Zealand Car Hire Companies?
Insurance schedules can vary hugely between New Zealand car hire companies, but here are a few of things that you should look into:
- Insurance Cover – Often included in the daily hire rate is 'insurance cover'. Check to see whether this is comprehensive or third party insurance and what excess you may be liable for (i.e. the amount you agree to pay towards the costs of any repairs, before the car hire company does).
- Collision Damage Waivers – Check the terms of each car hire company's collision damage waiver (CDW). This can be an additional daily charge that you pay to guarantee that the car hire company will pay for damages to your hire car (usually not to you or your property). Check what amount of damages you would be liable to pay if you do or do not accept the collision damage waiver.
- Insurance Exclusions – Check the terms of your insurance and / or collision damage waiver. If you drive on unsealed or graveled roads, drive negligently or illegally (e.g. over the legal alcohol blood level or without a licence) or drive a vehicle that is no longer roadworthy or unsafe, or allow the car to be driven by a driver other than those drivers named on the policy, you may find your insurance void.
- Insurance Cover – Check to see if you really need additional insurance. Many car hire companies offer adequate third-party insurance as part of their daily rental rates.
- Credit Card Company Cover – If you have a credit card, check with your credit card company before you book your car hire to see if using your credit card provides collision coverage for the hire car.
- Home Insurance Cover – Check to see if our home car insurance makes any provisions for hire cars.
Booking with Car Hire Companies in New Zealand
It is easy to book a rental car in New Zealand. Simply browse our range of rental cars by choosing one of the options below.
You may be interested in a form of transport in New Zealand other than a rental car. Browse our range of transport options including airlines, bus and coach services, rental 4WD, minivan and buses, rental campervans and motorhomes, rental bikes and motorcycles and trains.
View more frequently asked questions about New Zealand car hire and car hire companies.