Tupare - A Garden Grown with Passion
On the boundary of New Plymouth are the Tupare Gardens, managed by the Taranaki Regional Council.
In 1932, Sir Russell and Lady Matthews started to create a garden from a hillside wilderness on the edge of the Waiwhakaiho River. After a lifetime of artistic creation and love, the Matthews relinquished their 3.6 hectare landscape gardens and Chapman Taylor Tudor Style home to ensure the protection of Tupare as part of New Zealand's heritage.
Under the management of the Taranaki Regional Council, Tupare continues to develop as one of the country's most beautiful and distinctive gardens.
The Tupare Gardens have a number of features, including:
- Old orchard
- Cliff cascade
The garden is on Mangorei Road, near the intersection with State Highway 3. It is open daily from September 1 to March 31, and for the rest of the year at selected times or by arrangement.
Initially designed by the renowned James Chapman-Taylor, Tupare House was built under the direction of Russell Matthews. Much of the furniture and accessories were bought on overseas trips, or commissioned to Matthews' specifications.
The main construction during 1932 to 1935 was supervised by Russell Matthews. The house took 12 years to complete.
Today Tupare House is owned and managed by the Taranaki Regional Council.