Off the Beaten Track to... Kawhia
Kawhia is an easy place to miss as it's not on most travellers' maps, but if you want to experience a taste of life in an isolated, sleepy 1950s-style coastal town, then Kawhia would definitely be an interesting place for you to spend a few, quiet days. Kawhia is roughly a one-hour drive from Hamilton, two hours from Auckland and 45 minutes from Te Awamutu or Otorohanga (driving on the roads requires concentration and needs to be taken slowly, just like the pace of life).
Kawhia offers you the perfect opportunity to recharge your travelling batteries and is an attractive option for travellers on a budget, as cabins, campsites or motels in Kawhia are very modestly priced (yes, almost cheap).
Our Pick of Kawhia Highlights
- Making your hot water pool on the beach (two hours before low tide)
- Deep water fishing and heritage cruises
- Bush walks and horse trekking
- Whaleboat racing (1st January only)
- Kai Fest (Māori seafood and cultural festival – weekend closest to 6th February only)
- Tangi te Korowhiti, a sacred place marked by a grove of ancient pohutukawa trees
- Enjoying locally-caught seafood delicacies such as pipi, oysters, mussels, cockles and mud snails.
Useful Kawhia Links
To help plan your Kawhia holiday choose from the main categories below: