Off the Beaten Track to... Lake Manapouri
Originally called Roto-au (the rainy lake) by early Māori and later Moturau (many islands), the highly picturesque Lake Manapouri is framed by the peaks of the Cathedral Mountain range and has an array of 33 small islands, sandy beaches and coves.
Just twenty minutes away from Te Anau, the lake and its small township, Manapouri (home to just 300 people) is not far from popular tourist hotspots, but its visitor numbers are much fewer. Manapouri has accommodation, two cafés and a restaurant for visitors wanting to enjoy picturesque and peaceful 'downtime'. Its walking tracks are a great attraction for keen hikers and walkers wanting to enjoy unspoilt and serene 'Godzone' country. Manapouri is also the departure point for Doubtful Sound cruises, a great option for viewing the scenery, bird and wildlife.
Things To Do
- Day and Overnight Walks – The Manapouri track provides a four-hour walk on the Circle Track and overnight walks to Hope Arm and Mt Titiroa. Access to the start of the track is across the river and row boats and water taxis are available to transport you and your gear. Other remote tracks around the lake include: The Monument, Waterfall Walk at Stockyard Cove, Gorgeburn Falls Track, the Kepler Track, Cone Peak, Percy's Pass and Dusky Track. All accessible by water taxi.
- Fishing – For experienced and beginner fly fishermen, trolling the lake is a wonderful way to relax and enjoy the lake and scenery. Brown and rainbow trout are often in successful catches.
- Kayaking – A great way to explore the lake's many coves and beaches when weather allows. Day and multi-day guided kayaking tours are available from local operators.
To help plan your holiday itinerary in Manapouri, simply choose from the main categories below:
- Canoeing and Kayaking
- Fly, Salmon and Trout Fishing
- Nature and Eco Tourism
- Cruises - Day and Overnight
- Tramping, Hiking, Guided Walks
For more information about Fiordland, follow the links below:
- Fiordland Accommodation
- Fiordland Attractions and Activities
- Fiordland Tours
- Fiordland Transport
- Fiordland Visitor Information
Book your Fiordland Accommodation online.