An informative trip to the tip of the Otago Pensinsula.
The Otago Peninsula's Taiaroa Head was once the site of the important Pukekura fortified pa in the 18th century.
Later, Taiaroa Head was a busy population centre involved in harbour work, shore defence and prison labour projects.
Taiaroa Head Today
Presently, Taiaroa Head is the home of the Royal Albatross Colony, the only mainland breeding colony of Royal albatross in the world. The Taiaroa Head Royal Albatross Colony is managed by the Department of Conservation.
Pilots Beach, a small beach located just inside the harbour entrance to the south of the head, contains many forms of marine and bird life. New Zealand Fur seals, Hooker's Sea Lions, blue penguins, yellow-eyed penguins, dusky dolphins, orcas and migratory whales can all be spotted here.
Taiaroa Head is also the place to see the Armstrong Disappearing Gun, built to fend off a feared Russian invasion in 1880 and later used as a defence post in the two World Wars.