August weather remains cool throughout New Zealand, although the North is slightly milder. Expect lows of 4-7°C in the North Island and between 1-6°C in the South Island. Remember that weather conditions will be more severe in mountainous regions and that you should dress according to the conditions. Don't worry about setting any new fashion trends – now is definitely the time to get the alpaca gloves out, the fleeces and the merino hat, gloves and socks set. Once you're dressed for the snow, all you need is to go, go, go!
Make the Most of the Winter Snow
You do not need to be an elite athlete to enjoy the snow in New Zealand. In fact, if you've never even seen the snow before, then August is a great time of year to make the most of the snow before it disappears. Some of the activities that will get you onto the white stuff include:
- Skiing – Visit some of New Zealand's most family friendly ski-fields for your first ever lesson. If you don't like it, make snow angels or enjoy the off-piste attractions (great views and delicious food – being out in the snow almost always generates a great appetite!)
- Heliskiing – If you can ski a blue run, why not try heli-skiing? You'll be taken by helicopter to heights of between 1400m and 2,200m to ski on the very best powder snow Mother Nature has created.
- Snowboarding – Tried skiing but never tried snowboarding? This could be the new winter sport for you.
- Scenic Helicopter or Fixed Wing Flights – Soar over the mountains and enjoy the incredible snowy vistas from up high. You'll enjoy a commentary from the pilot and an experience of a lifetime.
- Alpine Climbing – Want a more challenging adventure? Get into peak condition with a local guide and learn more about ice-climbing, snowshoeing, avalanche courses, back country skiing and alpine climbing.
View more snow-based activity and tour options.
August Weather – Average Max Temperatures
- Auckland 15°C
- Rotorua 13°C
- New Plymouth 14°C
- Wellington 12°C
- Nelson 13°C
- Christchurch 13°C
- Queenstown 10°C
- Invercargill 11°C
Weather By Month
Our overview of New Zealand's typical weather by month can help you plan your holiday, unmissable highlights for the month (e.g. events and festivals), sightseeing and activities and even your packing. But do be warned – these are not weather forecasts, so expect some of the unexpected during your stay!
|Spring Weather||Summer Weather||Autumn Weather||Winter Weather|
Weather in the Major Centres
Find out: where to expect 'four seasons in one day', where to find New Zealand's semi-tropical regions, which city is the sunniest, where to experience the most rainfall and discover which city is the country's windiest.
|North Island Weather and Climate||South Island Weather and Climate|
|Bay of Islands||Queenstown|