Marlborough Activity Highlights
Tourism Operators | Discover Marlborough | Activity Highlights | Scenic Highlights | History
Marlborough enjoys year-round sunshine and diverse landscape. The region is conducive to an easy-going lifestyle and an excellent range of recreational activities.
Marlborough Activity Highlights Overview
The Marlborough region is a place where you can pick a theme and follow it through. Focus your itinerary on outdoor adventures, vineyards and wineries, arts and crafts, history and gardens or marine pursuits. Better still, mix them up and experience a little of everything this beautiful region has to offer.
» Marlborough Activities Directory
Savour the Flavours of Wine Country
Blenheim is the base to begin your explorations of Marlborough's wineries.
- Tour the wineries and breweries with a guide, so you won't have to worry about driving
- Lunch alfresco amongst the vines - many wineries have a cafe or restaurant
- Follow the art and craft trail to see a thriving creative community in action
- Visit a distillery and see how it's done - taste locally produced fruit brandies and liqueurs
Find a Fresh Country Adventure
There's more to Marlborough than wine—see what else happens in this beautiful region.
- Enjoy a high country horse trekking trip
- Explore private gardens open for viewing
- Local museums and restored heritage homes illustrate the early history of the region
- Find out about fly-fishing and hunting tours
- In summer you can do a guided tour of Molesworth Station, a high country farm. View the grandeur and beauty of the mountainous high country
- Take a walk in Wither Hills Farm Park - great views over Marlborough and the Wairau Plains
- Visit an orchard for seasonal fruit, in particular Marlborough cherries (December - January)
- Art galleries offer ever changing exhibitions of local and national artists
- Take a river cruise along the traditional trading route used by the early settlers
- Visit the Alpaca and Llamas just out of Koromiko
Soak Up the Scenery of the Marlborough Sounds
A sound is a valley drowned by the sea—forest and water merge to create a dramatic coastal landscape. The Marlborough Sounds are composed of three sounds: Queen Charlotte Sound, Kenepuru Sound and Pelorus Sound.
- Arrive by sea through the glorious maze of deep coves and bays of Queen Charlotte Sound. Fine restaurants and accommodation lodges beckon
- Explore the town of Picton. European settlement of this area began in the 1840s and many of the early buildings still grace the waterfront
- Go on a sea kayaking safari - guide yourself or join a group
- Walk the Queen Charlotte Track (three - four days) - a popular walkway with many entry and exit points and numerous top class resorts and accommodation providers along its length
- Visit the Edwin Fox, a maritime artifact, situated in Picton
- Dive shipwrecks - the Russian cruise liner Mikhail Lermontov and the wreck of the Hippalos, a 120-year old wooden barque
- Charter a sailing boat and cruise the Sounds - skippers can be hired
» Marlborough Sounds Information
» Marlborough Sounds Travel Directory
Adventures that Begin in Havelock
The charming seaport of Havelock was once a thriving gold-mining town. Today it's a base for further explorations of the sounds.
- Try the local delicacy - green-lipped mussels
- Visit the historic gold mining township of Canvastown, the scenic splendour of Pelorus Bridge Reserve and rural Rai Valley
- Get on board a charter boat and go snapper fishing
- Follow the Nydia Track to Tennyson Inlet - takes two days
- Visit the tiny settlement of French Pass and its offshore island d'Urville
- Do the Pelorus Bridge Walks, 18 kilometres west of Havelock
Useful Marlborough Links
To help plan your Marlborough holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Marlborough Accommodation
- Marlborough Tours
- Marlborough Attractions and Activities
- Marlborough Transport
- Marlborough Dining
- Marlborough Shopping
- Marlborough Visitor Information
Marlborough Region Information
Key information and facts about the Marlborough region.
Major activities and attractions in the Marlborough region.
Major natural attractions in the Marlborough region.
History of the Marlborough region.
Marlborough Tourism Operators
Choose from our accommodation, attractions, tours, transport or visitor information categories below to find a tourism operator in Marlborough.