Ruapehu Activity Highlights
From the gentle swish of a fly rod to the energetic twitch of a snowboard, all levels of action can be found in Ruapehu. There is something for everyone in Ruapehu.
Ruapehu Activity Highlights Overview
Fresh air and fresh adventures promise to renew your enthusiasm for life in beautiful Ruapehu.
Take on the mountains by mountain bike, hiking, skiing or just admire them from above on a scenic flight.
Challenge the Tongariro River and raft the white water rapids, or relax and try your hand at trout or rainbow fishing.
Hiking the Tongariro Crossing
The Tongariro Crossing is a full-day hike (often called the best in New Zealand) that leads to active volcanic areas, crater lakes and panoramic views.
- Discover volcanic steam vents, lava formations and wildly-coloured crater lakes
- Enjoy the pure perfection of glaciers and crystal clear streams
- Be blown away by views of the volcanoes—Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro
Physical Challenges On and Around the Volcanoes
The rugged, unusual landscape attracts thrill-seeking adventurers of every kind.
- Sharpen your climbing skills on ice and rock faces
- Experience the freedom of wilderness tramping through unmarked areas
- Mountain bike across the wild 42 traverse
Fast Flowing River Excitement
The crystal clear waters of the Tongariro River provide all kinds of entertainment.
- White water rafting is huge fun—the rapids are almost non-stop
- You'll find that trout fishing, for browns and rainbows, is generally very rewarding
The Relaxing Side of Life on the Volcanic Plateau
The Grand Chateau provides a luxury base for all kinds of pursuits.
- Enjoy a game of golf on one of the region's all weather courses
- Rev yourself up for a farm bike tour—either scenic or exhilarating
- Follow New Zealand's Kiwi bird at night using electronic tracking equipment
Ski an Active Volcano
- Whakapapa is New Zealand's biggest and busiest ski area. It has a total of 24 lifts and 43 runs, ranging from beginner to off piste expert
- Turoa is called "The Giant". It offers 400 hectares of skiing and 11 lifts
The Raurimu Spiral, an Engineering Triumph
The Raurimu Spiral is an internationally recognised engineering achievement built to negotiate a 215 metre escarpment on the North Island Main Trunk Railway. Railway enthusiasts come from all over the world to see it. You can ride the Raurimu Spiral, either on scheduled services or on regular vintage steam train excursions.
Exploring the World of the Whanganui River
The Whanganui River, New Zealand's longest navigable river, has some amazing scenery to show you.
- Travel by jet boat or canoe downstream over gentle rapids
- Take a gentle trip on the restored Whanganui River Paddle Steamer, the PS Waimarie
- Find the Bridge to Nowhere on foot or by mountain bike. The easy way is a jet boat trip followed by a guided walk to the bridge
- Catch the Whanganui River Mail Run—a mini-coach trip travelling from Wanganui to Pipiriki and return through the heart of the Whanganui National Park
- Visit Pipiriki village, on the banks of the Whanganui River
- Enjoy short bush walks and treks—venture into the Whanganui National Park
Useful Ruapehu Links
To help plan your Ruapehu holiday choose from the main categories below:
- Ruapehu Accommodation
- Ruapehu Tours
- Ruapehu Attractions
- Ruapehu Transport
- Ruapehu Cuisine and Dining
- Ruapehu Shopping
- Ruapehu Visitor Information
Ruapehu Region Information
Key information and facts about the Ruapehu region.
Major activities and attractions in the Ruapehu region.