Taranaki Activity Highlights
Taranaki presents something for everyone. Hike to the top of the dramatic volcanic cone of Mount Taranaki or wander the gorgeous gardens of New Plymouth.
Taranaki Activity Highlights Overview
With 105 kilometres of surf beach, 21 golf courses, 40 trout fishing streams, five heritage trails and one huge mountain, Taranaki presents an almost overwhelming choice of things to do.
A Great Time on the Big Mountain
The snowy cone of Mount Taranaki is a focal point for all kinds of adventure.
- Hike to the top of Mount Taranaki/Egmont with a professional guide. Organised summit climbs run throughout February
- Mount Taranaki also has more than 300 kilometres of walking tracks, ranging from 10 minute nature walks or to a three day 55 kilometre trek around the mountain
- Drive the Taranaki heritage trail around Mount Taranaki. Non-stop the trail can be driven in two hours—or you can spread it over a day
- In winter (June - August) visitors can ski the slopes of Manganui ski field, which has ski hire available
Blooming Marvelous Gardens
The gentle Taranaki climate has inspired fabulous gardens of roses, rhododendrons, fuchsias and native plants.
- Pukekura Park and Brooklands to admire the fernery and display houses. There's also a children's zoo, bush walks and lakes
- Pukeiti is renowned for its Rhododendron collection, set in 360 hectares of native bush
- Tupare Garden (New Plymouth) and Hollands (Kaponga) are two of New Zealand's finest heritage gardens
- King Edward Park in Hawera features the world's only 'Wendy' statue—the partner to Kensington Garden's 'Peter Pan'. Every second year in February a 'Wendy Festival' is staged—Wendys from the world over are invited
- Dozens of private gardens can also be viewed year-round by appointment
Deluxe Surf Breaks and Beaches
A rich surf culture is alive and well in Taranaki. The waves never stop rolling.
- Follow 'Surf Highway 45'—a 106 kilometres around-the-coast road that takes in all the surfing spots from New Plymouth to Hawera
- Surf and windsurfing lessons are available, or try tandem-surfing with an expert surfer! All gear provided
- The Sugarloaf marine park is the place to see seals and other marine life. Cruise tours are available daily (weather dependent) with Chaddy's Charters
- Climb to the top of Paritutu Rock—this volcanic remnant on the New Plymouth coast is worth the view!
- Visit the Cape Egmont lighthouse—a spectacular backdrop of the mountain makes this a wonderful spot for photos
- Tackle the five hour Whitecliffs Walkway where you can see Taranaki's white cliffs, the fabulous 'Three Sisters' rock formations and walk through the hand-hewn Te Horo tunnel which leads from the beach to farmland
And There's More!
In and around New Plymouth you'll find plenty to keep you entertained.
- Visit the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, a contemporary art museum
- Have fun at Fun Ho! National Toy Museum with over 3,000 locally made toys dating from 1936
- Visit boutique wineries and breweries within the region
- Experience dam dropping (an eight metre drop over a dam) on Waingongoro River, where guides take people on a three hour heart pumping experience
- Embark on a canoeing adventure—choose one of three Taranaki rivers, regular canoes, kayaks or a 12 metre long waka
- Bridge-swinging (a kind of seated bungy jump) is available in the Taranaki region
- 4WD adventures in East Taranaki or Waitara
- Extreme horse trekking through the hill country near Whangamomona
- Take a guided historical tour. Find out about the Taranaki Land Wars of the 1800s, and the world's first passive resistance movement at Parihaka on the Taranaki coast
- At Taranaki Mineral Pools you'll enjoy a range of thermal mineral baths, plus various massage options
Useful Taranaki Links
To help plan your Taranaki holiday choose from the main categories below
- Taranaki Accommodation
- Taranaki Tours
- Taranaki Attractions
- Taranaki Transport
- Taranaki Cuisine and Dining
- Taranaki Shopping
- Taranaki Visitor Information
Taranaki Region Information
Key information and facts about the Taranaki region.
Major activities and attractions in the Taranaki region.